There are 3 ways to use doTERRA essential oils, applying them topically onto your skin, taking them internally and inhaling them aromatically.
Applying oils topically is just one of the ways to use essential oils and experience their benefits. Using oils topically is great because it allows for localized effects to the area in which you apply it in addition to whole body support.
Diluting essential oils is the process of mixing them with a carrier oil. A carrier oil is a pure vegetable oil that helps to “carry” the essential oils onto the skin. The purpose of using a carrier oil is to increase the surface area of absorption, prevent sensitivity responses and enhancing absorption through dry skin.There are 3 classifications of oils for topical use, neat, dilute and sensitive oils.
Neat: Oils that classify as “neat” can be applied topically without dilution because of their exceptionally mild chemistry. Frankincense, Lavender, Melaleuca, Melissa, and Sandalwood are examples of “neat” essential oils.
Dilute: Oils in this category have very potent chemistry and should be always be diluted with a carrier oil before topical application. “Dilute” oils include Cassia, Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Oregano, and Thyme.
Sensitive: “Sensitive” oils are those that should be diluted before being used on infants and children or sensitive skin. Bergamot, Black Pepper, Eucalyptus, Ginger, and Peppermint are examples of “sensitive” oils.
Ways to apply oils topically
- Face: Use essential oil as part of your regular skin care routine to promote a clear, healthy looking complexion (stay tuned for a blog post all about essential oils and skin care)
- Neck/Forehead/Temples: These areas are good to target feelings of tension and stress.
- Abdomen: Apply essential oils, especially over major digestive organs, to help support healthy digestion and ease stomach discomfort.
- Arms/Legs/Back: Massage onto the arms, wrists, legs, feet, or back after physical activity.
- Roof of the Mouth (Soft Palette)/Base of the Skull: Applying oils to these areas is an excellent way to help transform your mood and balance your emotions.
- Chest: Rubbing oils onto the chest help all sorts of respiratory and sinus issues.
- Bottoms of Feet: The feet have large pores that rapidly absorb essential oils, making this an ideal application site for generalized effect. (Quick Tip – If you don’t like the smell of a certain oil, apply it to the bottom of your feet and put your socks or shoes on right away!).
Other ways I use my essential oils topically is to add a few drops to a warm bath (adding Lavender to my bath at night is so relaxing, I also add Lavender to my 4 month old son’s night time bath and it helps him sleep through the night) and making a homemade hot or cold compress by soaking a cloth in water and adding essential oils and applying it to the area of need (doTERRA’s Deep Blue soothing blend is a personal favourite for this method).
Some doTERRA oils are safe to take internally and there are 5 different ways to do so. doTERRA oils are very potent, make sure you start with adding one drop and as you get to know how your body reacts to each oil, you can slowly start adding more drops if desired.
- Add to Beverages: Not only do essential oils add amazing flavour to your water or other favourite beverage, but each oil has so many health benefits to taking them internally, see previous blog post about adding essential oils to water.
- Veggie Caps: doTERRA has these amazing capsules called Veggie Caps, they are made 100% from vegetables and are a great way to take essential oils internally. People like using Veggie Caps to avoid the taste of certain oils but to get the health benefits!
- Directly Under Tongue: Although sometimes strong in flavour, it is safe to apply oils directly under your tongue for quick absorption into your bloodstream.
- doTERRA Supplements: doTERRA has quite an assortment of essential oil supplements that are a great way to incorporate oils into your life.
- Cooking and Baking: Adding essential oils to your favourite recipe is a delicious way to use oils internally. There are a number of spice and herb essential oils and you can also get creative by using some of the more unique flavoured oils.
doTERRA Essential Oils Safe For Internal Use:
- Black Pepper*
- Cinnamon Bark*
- Clary Sage
- Juniper Berry
- Roman Chamomile
- Wild Orange
*Dilute hot oils to minimize any mouth sensitivity when taken directly.
Essential oils are quickly absorbed by your smell receptors, which have a direct link to the limbic system by way of the olfactory nerve. The limbic system is part of the brain that supports a variety of functions including smell, emotions, behaviour, and memory. Some essential oils induce uplifting or invigorating effects, while others are more calming. One way to use essential oils aromatically is to use a diffuser, but it isn’t necessary to use a diffusor device to achieve the health benefits of inhaling oils. You can experience the same effects and health benefits by placing a drop or two of essential oil in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together and then cup your hands around your nose as you breathe deeply.
Other aromatic uses include:
- Shower: Drip 2–3 drops onto the floor of the hot shower, away from the water path, and breathe in.
- Home Essentials: Add to household surface cleaners, or to a load of laundry (stay tuned to the blog for DIY household cleaner recipes).
- Bedtime Benefits: Add a couple of drops to pillows and bed linens (also stay tuned to the blog for a DIY linen spray recipe).
How do you incorporate essential oils into your life? I would love to hear from you! Feel free to comment or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you ever have any questions or if you would like information on purchasing doTERRA essential oils don’t hesitate to contact me – I love being able to share my passion for oils with you!